Who is Laverne cox?
Laverne cox is an American actress, dancer, and LGBTQ advocate. she is known as Sophia Burset on Netflix series “Orange is New Black”. Laverne cox is first openly transgender and four times Emmy nominated actress in history.
She is continued her journey, appearing in several TV shows. after that, In 2015 she is featured on the cover of Time magazine.
All image credit: Laverne cox
Laverne cox’s childhood and education
Laverne Cox was born on May 29, 1972, in Moblie, Alabama (United States). she is raised by a single mother and worked as a teacher. she has a twin brother M Lamar.
She was born a biological male but But she always felt like a woman. she had never felt the difference between boys and girls.
But she was still taunted and harassed for being a biological male.
She is studied dance for years before doing work in film industry. her Tv shows include law and order episodes and realty show “Transform me” which made Cox the first African-American transgender star in her own TV show.
She is educated at the Alabama School of Fine Arts in Birmingham. She got a scholarship to study at ASFA and spend her years in that boarding school.
After graduation, she accepts her dance scholarship to Indiana University at Bloomington. finally, she transferred to Marymount Manhattan College where she completes her graduation with a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts in Dance.
She starts studying dance when she was 8 years old. She starts participating and performing dance, talent shows when she was in 3rd grade. her childhood is full of fame, performing in tv shows and movies.
Laverne Cox’s career journey
During her college, she began identifying as a woman and start her medical transition.
Laverne Cox said that the only way that she was able to accept her womanhood, was when she is moved to new york and met the first transgender woman Candis Cayne.
When she saw her on television, she understood that it this possible to be openly trans and have a career as an actor. This inspiration and learning from Candis Cayne help to lift shame of being trans.
In 2007, to get an experience of camera, shoot, Cox starts acting in off-Broadway shows and independent student films during her college days.in 2008, she appeared on Law & Order, Special Victims Unit, I Want to Work for Diddy.
In this show, her groundbreaking role as Burset is grabbing attention from all over the world and this role lead to Laverne becomes first openly transgender actress to be four times Emmy nominated actress in history.
Laverne cox old pictures
Achievements & Awards
In 2013, she got Anti-Violence Project 2013 Courage Award honoree
In 2014 – Woman of the Year by Glamour magazine
In 2015- Included in the People World’s Most Beautiful Women List
In 2015- Named in the 100 Most Influential People List
In 2020- Emmy Outstanding Guest Actress in Drama series nominated
Laverne Cox’s personal life
Laverne cox was in a relationship with Kyle Draper from 2018. Being transgender dating is not easy for her.
From this relationship, Laverne learned that she can also find love like ordinary people, she can also find a true life partner.in 2019, both are separated.
Laverne said that finding new boyfriend no less than a miracle and she did not reveal his name.
In an interview, she said that her boyfriend is technically 22 years younger than me – the age difference has not been an issue. It’s just really hard to find someone that you really connect with.
Is Laverne cox gay?
No, Laverne cox is not gay. she was born a biological male but But she always felt like a woman.
After reassignment, Laverne cox becomes first openly transgender and four times Emmy nominated actress in history.
Interesting Facts About Laverne Cox
- She knew she was transgendered since elementary school education.
- At age of 13, Laverne Cox felt shame of being transgender and tried to end her life.
- Laverne Cox was first African-American trans female to appear on reality shows.
- Laverne Quit her restaurant job before receiving her Emmy nomination.
- She got honor of most Influential Fictional Character 2013 of TIME Magazine.
- She is raised by a single mother(Gloria Cox) and worked as a teacher.
- Leverne’s new boyfriend is 22 years younger than her.
- Her twin brother M Lamar is an American Composer, Performer and Artist.
- Laverne said that her new boyfriend has never dated trans women before.
Interesting information about Laverne Cox
- 48-year-old Laverne Cox’s net worth of US$5 million(2021).
- Nickname of Laverne cox is Laverne.
- In February 2018, she becomes first openly transgender and cover history of the South African edition of Cosmopolitan magazine.
- Laverne is known for Sophia Burset in Orange Is the New Black.
- Her bravery and dedication empower the transgender community.
- Laverne has 4.6 million followers on Instagram, 677k on Twitter, 13.4k on Facebook.
Dear friends, I hope you love my article Laverne cox biography.
If you like reading my article, please subscribe to my blog so that you can update my latest article and share your opinion with me in the comment box.
If you are interested in reading biographies, then please comment to me. I will write next biography on the celebrity, model, or star that will be suggested by my audience.
We value your opinion!
Thanks for reading!